Subscribe to Mill Blog to read interesting articles, helpful reviews, recommendations and more!
“Nature itself is the best physician”
Roots from the East
Photo US Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
You probably have heard of ginseng in some context or another. Usually touted as a health supplement in Asian communities, it may be hard to decipher what the true benefits of ginseng are from the cultural mysticism surrounding it. While not well-known in Western cultures, Korean red ginseng (aka Panax ginseng) has been touted as a natural herbal remedy in Asia for over 2,000 years. This top-tier superfood is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients that help support health and well-being.
Korean red ginseng requires a period of at least 5 years to mature before it can be consumed, denoting a high price for high-quality ginseng. The dried unprocessed root is labeled as white ginseng while the steamed and dried root is what is known as red ginseng.
Red ginseng was considered a truly precious gift that denoted respect and hospitality in traditional Korea. The very best quality ginseng was offered to royal dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth and President Xi Jiping as a gesture of longevity and prosperity from Korea’s native land. Korean ginseng has become recognized as one of the most nutrient-dense, highest-quality natural ginseng. The natural climate and soil of Korea boast the perfect conditions for the world’s best ginseng!
Medicine from the Earth
This healthy and wonderfully nutritious root is native to Korea thanks to an abundance of unique factors in Korea’s landscape. According to Korea Ginseng Corp, the geographical latitude, four distinct seasons, climate, and ideal soil conditions make Korea the best natural environment for developing Korean red ginseng and its unique nutritional properties. Korean red ginseng is an extremely delicate root that requires specific growing conditions to achieve its rich nutrients and quality.
It requires a period of at least 5 years to mature naturally before being harvested, steamed, and air-dried for consumers. Although it was originally developed to help extend the shelf-life of ordinary ginseng, this steaming and air-drying process ended up actually intensifying the healthy, active components found in ginseng root skins.
According to Healthline, red ginseng has been used to also:
- help improve heart health
- increase energy
- Decrease stress and fatigue
- treat diabetes
- help treat impotence and increase stamina
Some new research suggests that ginseng may help people with cancer. It can help prevent colon cancer, provide relief to patients going through chemotherapy, and even prevent the spread of tumors and stop the spread of cancer cells.
Root and Stem
What makes Korean red ginseng unique is that it contains an essential nutrient known as ginseng saponins in much higher quantities than ginseng species. These phytochemical compounds act as anti-inflammatories while stimulating the immune system. Saponins are found in concentrated amounts in both animals and plants. While saponin derived in animals can be dangerous to humans, plant saponins are considered very healthy and beneficial to the human body.
In fact, three different saponins found only in Korean red ginseng have been shown to support memory, liver functions, and the immune system. Modern studies also indicate that red ginseng can even enhance brain function, particularly with brain-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Try them all now!
Seoul Mills now offers many different ginseng products from local Korean producers right to your door! Each product captures the true taste, aroma, and rich nutrients of Korean red ginseng for you to enjoy. From kid-friendly ginseng sticks to powerful and healthy ginseng extract to Korean recipes, you will love all the different forms of red ginseng in our collection!
- Red Ginseng Concentrated Extract 240g Boost your health and immune system with Cconma USA Punggi Red Ginseng Extract. Easy to make and rich in flavor, this extract can be taken hot or cold. 100% red ginseng concentrate with a distinctive, slightly bitter taste.
- Korean Red Ginseng Caramel 180g (100% Korean Red Ginseng) This subtly sweet, salty, and soft caramel captures the unique taste and aroma of red ginseng. Made from 100% domestic Korean red ginseng specially cultivated in a clean, healthy, and natural environment.
- Cconma Red Ginseng Extract Drink 80ml A liquid extract drink featuring red ginseng grown for 6 years for optimum quality and nutrition. Comes in convenient pouches for quick and easy access. Featuring the distinctive flavor and aroma of red ginseng.
- Red Ginseng Concentrated Extract Stick 10ml Red ginseng sticks dosed conveniently in small sticks for quick and easy access. 100% domestic ginseng blended with the natural, sweet and refreshing flavors of aronia, persimmon, jujube, and grape.